Thursday, February 25, 2010

A tough ticket

The conversation this morning went something like this:

Mother: You'll never guess where I'm going Monday morning.
Son: You're right.
Mother: Although you probably won't approve.
Son: Try me.
Mother: C'mon guess.
Son: Ok, The Ice Follies.
Mother: No seriously...
Son: I give up.
Mother: I'm going to a taping of the Oprah show!
Son: I'm truly happy for you.
Mother: Well I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that.
Son: Certainly not.
Mother: I bet even you'd go.
Son changes subject.

My mother got a ticket to what is no doubt the toughest ticket in town from her niece who could have given it to any number of her countless friends. So it was quite flattering that my mom was chosen.

Like it or not, Oprah is as big a Chicago icon as they get, she's as big as the Sears Tower. Some (not me) might say with an ego just as big. In some circles around the country she has replaced Al Capone as our most famous citizen. If you want to get a ticket to her show you have to mail in a request and wait years before it arrives in the mail.

The other way to get in, well in true Chicago fashion, you have to know somebody.

There is only one person I can think of whose status in this town came anywhere close to Oprah's, and his show was just as tough a ticket. He and his show is familiar to anyone who grew up in Chicago during the sixties and seventies.

He name was Bozo the Clown.

No comments: