Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The urban experience in film...


A huge gap in my film going experience has been the work of Buster Keaton. I've been a Chaplin fan for longer than I care to admit but Buster was just off my radar. Until this past week that is when the family saw Keaton's 1928 film The Cameraman. In addition to being a highly entertaining movie made by one of the true geniuses of cinema, it contains some great location work in New York City.

Here a somewhat long clip that is one of my favorite sequences in the film. It includes Buster running through live traffic up Broadway I believe, giving a terrific idea of what the city looked like in the late 1920s. I think the shot of the policeman is actually Los Angeles but I'm not sure.



Note the set of his apartment building where he runs up and down several flights of stairs waiting for a call from his sweetheart, played by Marceline Day.

The Cameraman also features this magical scene of Buster shot in what was at the time a brand new Yankee Stadium.

Enjoy!

No comments: