Friday, March 20, 2009

Icon, con you?

With the selling of the naming rights to Sears Tower last week, there has been lots of talk recently about Chicago icons.

While I've blathered on and on about how undeserving I think Sears Tower is to be considered Chicago's premier icon, I've been considering what would be truly Chicago's most treasured icon.

So I went to where any inquiring mind would go to answer such a question.

I Googled "Chicago icon."
My answer was a little unexpected.

The number one item on Google's list linked to the site of a guy who seems to post images of graphic designs (not his own) that he likes. This page had images of the Chicago skyline, the kind of images you'd find on souvenirs that you would buy at Walgreen's.

Since I'm looking to refine my list to individual icons, I didn't count that one.

The number two icon item on Google's list was much more useful. It linked to a Flicker page with a photograph of "Chicago Icon" Ronnie Woo Woo, the guy who dresses up in a Cubs uniform and yells "Cubs Woo! Cubs Woo!"

Number three was a Chicago tourist site that I didn't get, or count.

Number four was Richard J. Daley, who could argue with that?

Number five, Sears/Willis Tower, of course it's been in the news a lot lately as has number eight, Holy Name Cathedral.

So without any further ado here is the list (after editing out entries that featured lists of icons) of the top ten Chicago icons according to Google for 5:00PM Friday, March 20, 2009:
  1. Ronnie Woo Woo
  2. Richard J. Daley
  3. Sears/Willis Tower
  4. The John Hancock Building
  5. Studs Terkel
  6. Holy Name Cathedral
  7. The Wrigley Company
  8. Jean Baptiste Point DuSable
  9. Trump Tower, that should rub a few people the wrong way!
  10. Chicken George, a fixture on Maxwell Street
Pretty good list. I'd place Ronnie Woo Woo above Sears Tower too.

No comments: