Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The morning commute...

Purple Line from Howard Street. I was engrossed in my book, a wonderful anthology called "Of Prairie, Woods & Water, Two Centuries of Chicago Nature Writing", edited by Joel Greenburg. While reading about exploring the prairie landscape, trudging through swamps, and communing with Indians, I heard this beep beep beep in my ear. I look up and immediately the woman standing on the train above me quits texting and apologizes. I told her it was ok but she quit anyway. Then after about 30 seconds, for some reason feeling guilty about being a spoiled sport, I said again, "really, it's ok!"

Then the incessant beeping started all over again.

Not to complain however, it certainly wasn't as bad as being eaten alive by the mosquitos that I was reading about!

No comments: