Friday, March 16, 2012

Eclectic Melbourne

Elizabeth Street between Collins and Little Collins Streets, Melbourne
Going through the volumes of pictures I shot in Melbourne last week, I pieced together this composite of my favorite block in the Central Business District. Here you can see how diverse styles from Second Empire and Italianate to Modern and Moderne happily coexist together, a common thread in this part of town. The dark building at the center of the photograph is one of the entrances to the Block Arcade, one of many such passageways for which the city is famous. This elegant arcade contrasts with shall I say the slightly more downscale businesses on the street, a theme which is repeated throughout the CBD west of Swanston Street, creating a fascinating urban fabric.

I plan on boring you with more pictures from my trip for the next few weeks.

No comments: