Monday, March 21, 2011

The benefits of public transit...

...are enumerated here in an article from the Sierra Club of Wisconsin. Our favorite governor, Scott Walker put public transportation along with unions on his hit list during his campaign last November. Needless to say he's not high on the Sierra Club's list either.

The article's point is that public transportation is good for everyone, especially drivers. When I ride my bike I often take an informal survey on how many cars are occupied by only the driver. On average I'd say that I count about eight driver only cars for every car with one passenger or more.

Note the two photographs in the article of a street, one with forty individuals and forty cars, the other with the same forty people and one city bus capable of holding those forty folks.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to make a very good point. Pictures are sometimes worth a thousand words!

No comments: